Salicylic | Lactic| Glycolic Acid Peel Instructions
DO NOT USE IF: You expect instant results and instant peeling (peeling takes up to 7 days to start), most chemical peels are designed to be a progressive treatment and need multiple applications to achieve a goal. Do not use if you have been treated with a hair-removal system in the past two days, have skin allergies, sunburn, broken skin, skin grafts, open wounds/lesions, recent surgery or inflamed skin. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their doctor prior to use. If you have had/have the HSV1 virus (cold sores) please be sure to have medication available as any trauma to the skin (includes skin peels) can cause a flareup. Avoid eyes: flush eye(s) with cold water if acid(s) enters eye(s)and Seek medical attention immediately.
SKIN PATCH TEST: Rub a small amount of acid on your lower chin along your ear and leave on 30 to 60 seconds, rinse with cold water and/or neutralizing solution (below). If no adverse allergic reaction and/or blistering occur AFTER 3 days then proceed with the facial peel over desired area. Do not exceed the time in your patch test when applying to the entire face. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP, this is to protect you from injury!
TIP: Acid solution can be diluted with water (lactic, glycolic and gly-lactic peels ONLY) if too strong. DO NOT DILUTE SALICYLIC PEELS (salicylic is insoluble in water). If salicylic peel becomes crystallized, simply put bottle in hot water to recrystallize the acid.
1. PREPARE A NEUTRALIZING SOLUTION: Combine 2 tbsp of household baking soda with 1 cup of tepid water in a small bowl. This solution can be used to deactivate the peel while it is on the skin. If you experience severe discomfort while performing the peel simply splash the neutralizing solution on to the skin to quickly stop the peeling process. Keep this solution near you at all times while performing the peel. Only use if necessary.
2. Remove makeup and wash face with a mild cleanser. A good glycolic cleanser is recommended to use 3 days prior to the peel for best results, this will lower the PH in your skin to give you a better peel result. Avoid using soap based cleansers as these create a barrier to the skin and the acids will not penetrate. Do not apply the peel to any area where the skin is broken, scratched, or open. ATTENTION: Oily/resistant skin will need additional prep in order for the solution to penetrate stubborn skin. You will need to use 70% isopropyl alcohol on the skin to remove oils, this will allow the solution to penetrate your skin better. Rinse off alcohol prior to applying the acids. Oily skin may require several applications before results are seen.
3. Apply glycolic/lactic or salicylic acid to a clean cotton ball or brush and apply to the face. Avoid eye areas, lips, and insides of nostrils. Leave on for for the amount of time indicated by your skin patch test.. You may or may not feel a burning/stinging sensation at this point. The absence of burning does NOT mean it is not working. Dead skin cells are being removed regardless of any sensations, if burning/stinging occur using a fan will help to tolerate the peel longer.
4. Once your time is completed rinse skin with copious amounts of cold water or neutralizing solution . DO NOT LEAVE ACIDS ON SKIN OVERNIGHT! As tolerance increases, peel may be left on for longer periods, up to 10 minutes. Severe blistering can occur if solution is left on to long, do not exceed 10 minutes (or longer than test patch results) with higher strengths. You may repeat the peel once skin has returned to normal and no sensitivity is observed.
5. Gently pat dry with a clean cotton towel. DO NOT rub skin with the towel. 6. Apply a gentle moisturizer to soothe and nourish your new skin. Avoid sun light and apply sun protection 30 SPF or higher, failure to use SPF after a skin peel and exposing new skin to the sun can result in dark skin patches from occurring.
CARE AFTER THE PEEL
For 7-12 days after the peel, clean the skin with warm water using a mild liquid cleanser. Use fingertips (not a wash cloth) since the skin is very sensitive at this time. Avoid the use of abrasive or exfoliating sponges. After cleansing, pat dry with a clean towel, and then apply ointment (mild moisturizer, coconut oil, aloe vera gel or antibiotic cream) to keep the exfoliating skin soft and the new skin protected.
Avoid sun exposure-this includes tanning beds. Sunlight on the skin after a peel can cause brown discoloration of the new skin. A sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher (50+ SPF is recommended) should be applied every morning before going outdoors. Do not use retinol products up to one week after your peel. For a minimum of one month after the peel procedure you should not have hair removed by a chemical process. Avoid chlorinated pools/spas for at least 2 weeks after the peel.
If your skin is going to peel, In the week following the peel you may experience swelling, mild flaking and/or redness, similar to a sunburn and irritation in the form of small blemishes (white raised bumps) where the peel deeply penetrated the pores. These reactions are normal and will subside with each subsequent peel. A lack of peeling skin does not indicate the peel did not work, it may take several peels to remove years of dead surface skin cells. Using natural carrier oils (jojoba, coconut or olive) will assist the skin in healing faster and will help slough off dead skin quicker.
Peeling starts 3-7 days AFTER the peel. If using for acne, acne may appear to get worse, continue treatment and acne will subside or disappear altogether. Peeling may or may not occur due to different skin tolerances. If acids were used on the skin too long blistering/burns and small red bumps may occur. Apply aloe vera gel and antibiotic cream to the skin until this subsides. Keeping a cool,wet washcloth in the fridge to use after a peel can be soothing to skin.
TIPS: If peeling is not occurring, increase the time on your skin 30-60 seconds each application until peeling does occurs. (up to 10 minutes) Using a mild (not harsh) skin scrub at least 3 days prior to applying the acids will also increase success rates (remove old dead skin). Applying a warm moist towel to the skin for 30-60 seconds before applying the peel solution will also allow the peel to penetrate better. The peel solution (except salicylic peel) may be added to your favorite moisturizer and used anywhere on the body.
All peels can be applied to other areas of the body, you will need to increase the time on the skin as other areas of the body (besides face/neck) will be more resistant to the acids- exfoliation of these areas at least 3 days prior is recommended for better results. Do not use “soap” based cleansers prior to using a peel, these cleansers will form a film and block the acids from penetrating the skin - use a non soap cleanser (a glycolic cleanser is recommended) It is NOT recommend you perform a peel more than every 7 days, optimal timing for peels is every 10-14 days to allow your skin a full time to heal. Diluting your peel may be necessary if it is too strong, adding water to your peel (except salicylic peels) will decrease the strength of your peel.
DISCLAIMER: In order to properly determine if a chemical peel is right for you, we strongly encourage thoroughly researching the process,procedure and outcome along with the contraindications and side effects. Our support staff are here to assist you in every way however, YOU ARE ASSUMING ULTIMATE RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK by purchasing and applying these products. Please take the time to properly assess whether you are willing to accept these terms and use at your discretion. Planet Eden is not responsible for the improper use or failure to follow instructions or complete a patch test to be sure it is compatible to your skin. BURNS SHOULD NOT OCCUR IF THE PATCH TEST WAS DONE PROPERLY. Use of product constitutes all liability of use. Use at your own risk! FDA SUNBURN ALERT: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.